Friday, June 5, 2015

A Prickly Situation

Rosa sericea pteracantha,” Edna said softly as she lifted her index finger to her mouth, trying to stop the bleeding. “They’re beautiful but those thorns get me every time.”

“That’s botanically impossible,” Ed replied.

“Huh? What do you mean? Look at my finger.”

Ed knew he should’ve kept quiet, but decided to finish what he started. “Roses don’t have thorns,” he declared. “They have prickles.”

Edna frowned while continuing to apply pressure to her finger wound. “Well, Mr. Flower Expert, can you at least help me get them into the vase?”

“Certainly, my dear.”

OOOUCH!” Ed screamed seconds later.

****
This 99-word story is my contribution to the June 3 Carrot Ranch Flash Fiction Challenge to "write a story that includes a rose."




No comments:

Post a Comment